Head of Legal
Do you want to be part of a team of one of the hottest fintech startups that’s revolutionising financial services through technology?
If you are passionate about fintech, thrive in a fast-paced international environment, and want to see your ideas turn into reality, come join us!
At Mintos, we are building a global online marketplace for loans. We provide retail investors with an easy and transparent way to invest in loans originated by a variety of alternative lending companies around the world. As a high-growth fintech startup, we have won the People’s Choice Award two years in a row in 2016 and 2017 and have been selected as a runner-up for the European Alternative Finance Platform of the Year 2016 and Aggregator of the Year 2016, all by the prestigious AltFi.
As the Head of Legal, you will join a smart and ambitious team in a strategic role and take charge of all legal aspects at Mintos. You will help guide the business through a high-growth period and navigate us through a turbulent landscape of fintech industry. You’ll report directly to the co-founders and be core member of the management team, offering advice not just on law and related matters but helping shape discussion and debate around business issues.
You are an ideal candidate if you are an experienced business-oriented professional with global/international outlook. You have a growth mindset and possess leadership skills, you collaborate well with leaders of other functions such as finance, human resources, information technology, marketing and sales (Loan Originators).
Your strategic thinking is broader than purely legal matters as you consider the longer-term implications of any legal matter in a broader context of the overall enterprise.
What you’ll do:
- Lead strategically important initiatives related to legal matters;
- Define and implement an efficient structure of Mintos legal team including cooperation model with outsourced lawyers;
- Create and implement a blue-print of Mintos legal structure that can effectively scale across various geographies;
- Ownership of licensing process with regulator and successful finalisation;
- Fine-tune the process for legal due diligence of a new country (both investor acquiring and loan originator onboarding) and/or loan originator. Define scope of legal opinion for new countries, where needed. Review legal opinion and deduce the optimal structure / approach to that country with the Account Executive within limited time period;
- Be in charge of creating and maintaining compliance manuals and procedures necessary for local regulators (e.g. FCA in the UK, FKTK in Latvia, etc);
- Keep up to date applicable regulatory documents and procedures (GDPR, AML, compliance);
- Make sure that agreements signed with the Loan Originators are favourable for Mintos investors and protect their interests;
- Develop and implement a contingency plan (from legal perspective) for each country.
What you need to know/have:
- Education/experience: a higher education in Law from an accredited law school/university and at least 5 years of working experience in in a corporate legal capacity within a fast-paced, fast-evolving and dynamic environment, preferably working as a Senior Lawyer. Experience in banking and finance is a must;
- A demonstrable track-record producing effective and high-quality legal advice to departmental heads within a business;
- Business-driven entrepreneurial mindset, with a very high energy level and 'get things done' attitude;
- Strong communication skills - ability to break down complex concepts and clearly explain them;
- Unquestioned integrity and a confident presence to effectively advise and resolve complex issues;
- An ability to draft and manage complex patent, trademark, and regulatory documentation, handling such matters comfortably within a fast-paced business environment;
- An ability to handle multiple simultaneous tasks and meet tight deadlines, be proactive and self-motivated, have a keen eye for detail, and have an ability to remain calm and composed under pressure;
- Business level or higher level of English is a must. Another European language will be an advantage.
What we offer:
- Ground-floor opportunity to change the world;
- Full-time salary negotiable based on experience;
- Employee stock options in the company;
- Health insurance and subsidised gym membership;
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it;
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a results-driven international environment;
- A recently refurbished, relaxed open-plan office with a fully stocked kitchen with healthy beverages and snacks.
Mintos is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you need assistance due to a disability to help you get to our office for an interview, please e-mail to [email protected].
To apply, please send your CV in English or a link to your LinkedIn profile to [email protected] and include “Head of Legal” in the subject field. We look forward to hearing from you!